Friday 7 February 2014


The big news today is that I have had to close the school so as I am sat here typing this at school everyone else is at home or staying with relatives or friends. I am sorry for the late notice but I had trouble getting to school myself because of flooded roads (as did other members of staff) and so was slightly late getting into school. I was then presented with the news that the boiler room was flooded and we had no heating or hot water.  The school was not too cold so I thought I could still stay open but when I rang county for advice about the boiler I was told that I should close the school immediately as there was a danger all the electrics could blow and cause an explosion. We now have 3 days to sort the problem so hopefully we will be open on Monday but if there are any problems we will let you know as soon as possible.

Anyhow, let us hope all is well next week as we do have a lot happening in school.  On Monday the Parents’ Council is a holding a meeting at 7.30pm to which all parents are invited to attend. If you can make it they would love to see you because the more parents that engage with them the more representative they will be of all the parents’ views.  On Wednesday we are holding our half termly Open Evening for parents to look at their children’s books – this will be from 3.00pm-4.30pm. On the same evening the PTA are also holding Valentine Discos for the children. The Foundation/KS1 disco is from 5.00pm – 6.00pm and the KS2 disco is from 6.15 – 7.15pm -you will have already received details about these.

Last night we held our first ‘Family Maths Night’ which was designed for Foundation/KS1 children although older siblings were allowed to come. All those who attended said what a very enjoyable evening it was and I would like to thank all the staff and Year 6 who attended for their support with the event.  I would especially like to thank Mrs Sarah Hopkins who organised the whole event. There is another one planned for March 20th but this time the activities are designed for KS2 children although younger siblings will be able to attend.

I am glad to say that some parents have been taking advantage of our system to be able to e-mail the teachers (and me) directly but unfortunately it has come to my attention that our system has been not working properly and a couple of e-mails have not be getting through to us. In recent months county did switch our e-mail provider and I know of a quite a few schools that have had some issues with the system which county have been working on. I have let them know that some of our e-mails have not been getting through so hopefully it will be sorted. However, in the meantime, if you do e-mail the school and you do not get a response please do contact us because it could be that we have not received it and you may need to send it to us again.

Once again I am sorry for having to close the school. I know the children will be delighted at having an extra day off but as a working parent I do know how inconvenient these disruptions are. Hopefully I will see you all again on Monday.

No comments: