Friday 15 May 2015


As I mentioned in my blog last week the Year 6 had SATs which has meant it has been quite a quiet week in school. However, they are all complete now and I am just as pleased as the Year 6. Even though I do not have the pressure of sitting the tests it I have to ensure that they are locked up safely and all bagged correctly (which is a harder task than it sounds) and when it is all over and all the tests have been collected I do feel like a small weight has been lifted from my shoulders. However, I am sure that is nothing compared to how the Year 6 children (or Mrs Zegallo) are feeling.

The week has not all been about tests though and there have been some really good events that have occurred in school. The first good thing was that our school netball team won the ‘Le Gros’ netball tournament. This follows on from winning the league so we are feeling really proud of them. They have never been beaten this season which is an excellent record but I was particularly pleased with how they conducted themselves while they played. In their semi-final they went 3-0 down before coming back to win it 6-3 but during the time they were behind they did not panic or get upset but just kept playing as a very tight unit. For those watching it was an excellent example of team play - Real Madrid could learn a lot from watching them. As well as the girls I would like to thank Georgina Parkinson for the excellent job she has done in coaching them. She is leaving us after coaching netball teams for nine years and I would like to thank her for all she has done for netball in the school. She will certainly be a hard act to follow.

We were also fortunate in that Mr Hall and Mrs O’Brien from the PTA took a school assembly on Thursday morning to inform all the pupils about the summer fayre which is on July 4th and has an American theme . The children all appeared very excited by what they heard and saw so hopefully it will be a great success.  Remember, that if you can spare any time to help the PTA they will be grateful. They have a box in the entrance to the school where you can leave any notes or information you would like to share with them.

This morning we enjoyed the lovely Reception assembly. It was all about ‘Red Riding Hood’ and the children presented it well with some lovely songs with actions. I would like to thank them all for giving us such a lovely performance and I would like to thank Miss Jaegar, Mrs Aldridge and Mrs Beadle for all their hard work in putting it together.

After all the stress of this week the Year 6 have a huge treat next week because they are going on their school residential to a Kingswood activity centre.  It will be quiet in school without them but I am sure we will survive. It is also the ‘Open Afternoon’ for parents which gives the parents of children in Years 1 – 6 an opportunity to look at the work the children have covered in this half term. I look forward to seeing many of you there.

No comments: