Friday 22 May 2015


I am writing this blog after attending the ‘Oakmere Mini Marathon ‘this morning. This is an event that is run every year by Oakmere Primary School for KS2 pupils and is a mini version of the London Marathon for all the local schools. I love the event and even though some of our children find the run quite a challenge they all achieve a sense of satisfaction in completing the course (as do the teachers who run the course with the children). All the children did really well but I would like to mention James in Year 4 and Caitlin in Year 3 who finished 4th and 5th respectively in their race.

The Year 6 could not join us this year at the mini marathon as they have been on their residential all week at a Kingswood Adventure Centre. From all the reports I have received from their teachers and the pictures I have viewed on the blog that Mrs Zegallo has been keeping, they all appear to be having a great time – I do think they are going to sleep well when they get back. They are returning to us this evening so after half term it will be back to normal in school. I think the Year 5 will be disappointed because they will have to sit on the floor again in assembly.

The Year 5 have actually had a very busy week because as well as taking part in the mini marathon they were invited to a performance of ‘Blood Brothers’ at Queenswood School.  This was after some of the boys had spent the morning taking part in a football tournament. They had to compete against a lot of Year 6 pupils but still managed to finish an impressive 3rd (out of twelve teams). Then, some of the Year 5 had to leave ‘Blood Brothers’ early because they were taking part in a ‘Maths  Challenge’. Mrs Hopkins reported back that the pupils taking part worked together really well as a team and represented the school well. That is always good to hear.

Since I have been at Little Heath I have received many comments over the years about the children’s  lost property and how we manage it. One of the comments is that we do not make any effort to get it back to the children and just leave it to gather. However, I was on the field this afternoon after lunch and found that six jumpers had been left out there. When I went to return them to the children I found that only three had names on them and so I had to put three in the lost property bin. May I take this opportunity to remind you that all school clothing should have the child’s name inside in a form that we can read. If you could check this over the half term it would make returning lost property back to children a lot easier.  

As you all know next week is half term and even though it is just less than five weeks since we returned after Easter I think a lot of people are looking forward to the break. I hope that everyone has a relaxing time because when we return it is seven weeks before our next holiday and we have a lot of work still to be covered. I look forward to seeing you all again on Monday, 1st June.

 

No comments: