Friday 24 June 2016


I am writing this blog after the KS1 and KS2 sporting events. We cancelled the day yesterday because of the horrible weather forecast and although the rain did stop during the morning it was a far more pleasant day for the event today. I know parents love to attend ‘Sports Days’ and try to plan their work schedules around it but the office did receive an awful lot of phone calls on Wednesday about whether or not we were going to cancel it which took up a lot of their time. As I have mentioned in the past I do try and make decisions such as closing the school or cancelling sports days only at the last possible minute when I know I have no other choice and although the timing may not be convenient for everyone it is my duty to keep the school running as normally as possible. With our texting service we can also let people know very quickly.

Anyhow today’s event was a big success and Grangewood are the champions. I would like to thank all my staff for their hard work in making it possible and I would like to give a special thank you to Mr Mills who does put in a lot of hard work to make it all possible.

Next week is a very busy week in school because we have the parent consultations. As I have said before, these are great occasions to discuss with your child’s teacher how they are progressing with their learning. I know these conversations can become quite involved but may I ask (and I will also be speaking to the teachers about this ) that you stick to your ten minutes because the schedules can quickly become very chaotic if everyone is just a few minutes late. If you feel there is something that you would like to discuss in more detail please make an appointment at the school office to meet with the teacher at a later time.

At the end of the week on Saturday we also have our Summer Fayre. This goes ahead no matter what the weather is like so let us hope that it is sunny like last year. This is always a hugely enjoyable event that the children look forward to and I look forward to seeing many of you there. To make it a success takes a lot of organisation and planning from our PTA and the last time I spoke to some of them I know there were still short of volunteers for some of the events on the day so if you can spare an hour to help out please either contact one of them or the school office to let them know of your availability.

The money that the PTA raises goes a long way to enhancing your child’s education. The money that they have at the moment is going to help furnish a new foundation block we are hoping the school will get. Although originally the money was going to be used to build an outdoor classroom if we get this unit we will have an extra classroom in school so we will then just refurbish it (using some of the PTA money) and it will serve the same purpose as the outdoor classroom was going to do.

That is all for now. After an exciting day I am going to go home and ‘flop’ for the night. I look forward to seeing many of you next week at the parent consultations and the Summer Fayre.

No comments: