Friday 16 September 2016


I know I often say this but I cannot believe it is Friday again. There has been so much happening in school this week that time has absolutely flown by. As well as our ‘Meet the Teacher ‘ sessions which some of you attended last night we had a ‘Road to Rio’ workshop in school in which most of the classes participated. Each of them was given a different country and had to learn a traditional dance from that country. They then presented their dance to the rest of the school in a closing ceremony at the end of the day which is why some of the children were a little late out and for that I apologise.

As I mentioned earlier l saw some of you last night at our ‘Meet the Teacher’ sessions. All the parents I spoke to appeared very happy with their sessions as they feel it is nice to touch base with the class teacher early in the term and know what the expectations for the year are. I am sorry that Year 5 parents did not have a session as Mr Da Rocha has been struck down with a virus this week but we will hold a session for those parents next week. Although it is early in the term we have already had a number of children take ill in school. May I remind you that if your child does contract a stomach bug they should be absent from school for 48 hours. Eg. If your child is sick or has diarrhoea on a Monday the earliest that they should return to school is Wednesday.

I have had some information passed onto me that I feel I should share with you this week. A child at another school was at a skate park on their scooter when they fell off and sustained a head injury because they were not wearing a helmet. I was then informed of another child who was on their scooter and was racing along the pavement when they fell off and landed in the road and they were so far ahead of their parent that somebody else had to stop cars running over them. I am passing these stories on as a cautionary tale because although it is great that children use scooters they need to take the same precautions as if they were riding a bike and wearing a helmet is always a good idea. Parents also need to make sure that if young children are on scooters they do not race too far ahead (or go too fast) because they still need close supervision – especially in the proximity of a busy road.

School has also felt extra busy this week because all the clubs have started up again which always pleases the children. As it is the autumn term we have started our winter activities which are designed to warm the children so they have really been suffering this week with the heat as they play rugby, netball and football. The Year 6 have also been out on their bikes every day completing their cycling proficiency but I suppose it is better to cycle in the hot sun than in the rain which some had to do today.

We have a more normal timetable taking place in school next week so it should be a little calmer. Have a good weekend and I will see you all on Monday.

No comments: