Friday 25 May 2018


I am typing this blog after returning from the mini-marathon. I love this event because it brings nearly all the schools in Potters Bar together and everyone can take part – it does not matter whether you finish first or last, everybody gets cheered over the line and I think everyone can really feel that they have accomplished something when they have completed the run. This morning everyone did the school proud but some children did especially well. Nathan in Year 5 finished 5th and Aston and Eleasha from Year 4 finished 2nd and 3rd respectively. I am also sure that you will join me in thanking all the staff at Oakmere Primary for organising this event. As I said earlier, I do love attending this event but I would find it daunting to organise the whole thing.

I had a very pleasant afternoon yesterday because I was one of the judges of the ‘Bake-Off’ competition that took place in Year 4. During the week the children had all made and decorated cakes in school based around different themes and yesterday afternoon I was one of the people who had the great job of tasting all the cakes. Although it was a difficult job to pick a winner (but certainly not to sample them all), we finally decided on the group that consisted of Jack, Neve, Lianna, James and Dovydas who had made a delicious sponge cake and it was beautifully decorated to show the importance of friendship. After the competition the Year 4 parents were then served afternoon tea by their children and were allowed to sample the cakes that had been made. It was a lovely event and I know that all of the parents who were able to attend had a really good time.

The afternoon tea was not the only event that we have had parents in school for this week. On Monday some parents were in school to see their children in a ‘Sharing Assembly’ and later in the week many parents were in school for our ‘Open Afternoon’ where they were given the opportunity to look over the learning their children have completed over the last half term. I enjoy it when we have parents in school because it makes it really feel like we are part of the community and it is nice to chat to everyone. The children also love it when their parents come into school because they can see everything they have been doing.

You may have noticed that we have had some men working on the field for the last couple of days. They have been installing an extension to our fitness trail which should be complete after the half term break. We have paid for this with our sports premium money and from a donation made to us by Tesco as part of their community project scheme. This was also down to many parents putting a counter into the Little Heath section when the scheme was running in the local Tesco stores. I would like to thank all the parents who did this and also to Caroline Lofts from the PTA who put us forward for this project. I know the children will get years of enjoyment from playing on this equipment.

Sorry to give you such a long blog to read but there has just been so much happening in school this week. The weather for the Bank holiday weekend is looking very promising which means that we get a great start to our week off. I hope you all have a good break and I look forward to seeing you all again on Monday, 4th June.

 

        

No comments: