Friday 1 February 2019


I must start my blog this week with an apology. This is because last Friday Year 3 put in an amazing class assembly and I forgot to mention it in my blog. The assembly was a representation of all the work that Year 3 have covered so far and the children presented it really well. I would like to belatedly thank them for a great assembly and I would also like to thank Miss Davis, Mrs Reynolds, Miss Russon and Mrs Ameen for helping them plan and organise it.

The big news today is the snow – all the children have been very excited and enjoyed the session on the field when we let them play on the field. I know some people were expecting a snow day but it was only a couple of inches and most of the roads were clear. I know a few people did not want to risk it because of icy back roads but if I can get enough staff in and the school is warm I do not have a reason to close and need to open the school. The snow was really lovely and fluffy and the children had a great time playing on the field during the morning break.

You may have noticed some workmen in the school today working in an area of the school field. This is because they are preparing the area for a new outdoor learning space that will arrive next week. From the outside it looks like a marquee and on the inside it will contain enough wooden seating for a whole class to sit down and a fire-pit so that it can be used in the winter. We are also having the wild life area overhauled so that a footpath will run from the outdoor classroom into the wildlife area. We are very excited about this addition and, along with our new technical room which we hope will be finished very soon, the provision for the children will be much improved making the learning experience for them even more exciting. The funding for both these areas has been provided by the PTA and we cannot thank them enough for their help in improving the quality of the provision at Little Heath.

The choir have had a very exciting time this week because they performed at the O2 in the ’Young Voices’ choir. They have been practising since September and all their work and preparation has certainly been worthwhile because they did an amazing job. Mrs Robinson and Miss Bradford have helped organise the children and I would like to thank them for all the work they put into preparing the children for the Young Voices’ event. Mrs Reusch and myself went along to help chaperone the children and we were delighted because Tony Hadley, the former lead singer of Spandau Ballet, was performing. We are big fans of his and so were joining in with him whilst he sang ‘Gold’ and ‘True’. The children, who did not know who he was, were bemused by this and were wondering why he was there. They have left me feeling very old! 

I cannot believe that it is February – where did January go? We are all going to have to wrap up warm this weekend because it is very cold but I am sure that will not stop us enjoying ourselves – I look forward to seeing you all on Monday.

No comments: