Friday 29 June 2018


I am typing this blog amongst preparations for our Summer Fayre. I know all the children are very excited and really looking forward to it. The weather has been very kind to us all week and it looks like the weather is going to be really sunny tomorrow which is always good for a summer fayre. The current weather has been described as a heatwave. I was listening to a radio presenter discussing this and they were highlighting the fact that if it gets hot in this country we always describe it as a heatwave and then complain about the problems it brings whereas other countries describe this weather as summer and just get on with their daily lives – I am beginning to think that we need to start developing this attitude in this country.

We are celebrating some success this week because our school has won the ‘Potters Bar Primary Schools Rounder’s Tournament’. It is yet another trophy that we can add to our cabinet this year. I was even more pleased with the result when I found out that final was between our A and B team and although one team did have to lose I think we can definitely say that we are the dominant force in rounders in Potters Bar. We also took part in the Primary school athletics event this week and although we did not win overall, Ben in Year 6 broke the record for the quoit throw. I would like to congratulate all the children on their excellent performances and would like to thank Mr Mills again for all his hard work in training and organising the sports teams.  Next week he is just as busy as some of the children from Years 3 and 4 are taking part in a football tournament and some of the older children are taking part in a cricket tournament.

I was slightly disappointed one evening this week when I had to leave the school early and saw at least 3 cars parked on the zig-zag yellow lines. These lines are meant to have no cars parked on them between 8.00am – 5.00pm and they have been put in place for the safety of the children. I would like to remind parents that if traffic wardens come down to do a spot check (and they have done in the past) then owners of these cars will receive a parking fine – however a fine is nothing compared to the life of a child. I would also like to point out that if I have been attending a meeting and I return to school to find that there are no spaces in the car park then I park in another road and walk to school – I do not park on the zig-zag lines which would be much easier and quicker for me.

It has been our parent consultations this week and many of the parents that I have spoken to seem very pleased with the progress their children have made. I know parents are always eager to find out how their children are doing in school and it can be tempting to stay and talk to the teacher for more than the allotted time but thankfully most parents were very good and kept their discussions within the time limit. I think we were helped on Thursday night by the fact that England were playing and a lot of people were eager to get home to watch the match. Do remember though that you do not have to wait for parents evening to meet with the teacher and you can make an appointment at any time if you have any concerns that you wish to discuss with the teacher.

Next week is going to be much quieter in school because the Year 6 are away on their school journey to Kingswood on the Isle of Wight. They always look forward to this as it is one last great adventure for them before they leave us forever. It is only possible thanks to the goodwill of the staff who go with them (Mrs Zegalllo, Mrs Illot and Mr Spring) who willingly give up their free-time (and a lot of sleep) to make it possible. I know that they will all have a wonderful time and I look forward to hearing all about it on their return.

I am sure that I will see many of you at the summer fayre this weekend. If you do see me please stop to say hello – I do enjoy talking to you all.


No comments: